Sunday, July 18, 2010

Growing Up


These three were born on Easter, so they are about three and a half months. Buttercup, the one next to the wall is lucky to still be growing. Friday night when I went out to close the hen house, she was missing and I could never find her. I thought something had got her. Saturday morning I go out to open the house and she's out strolling around. So last night I rush home to close them up and she is missing again. After looking everywhere for her, I found her in the tree. Luckily she wasn't very high. I had to get the ladder and get her. Of course she squawked like I was killing her. Evidently I scared her enough she didn't want back in the tree tonight.

These little chicks are three weeks old. I had a place on the ground fixed for them and their mom. Last night they were in one of the nest and mom was still on the ground. Tonight they are back in the nest and mom is up with the other hens.


Last week one of the moms for the one baby decided she was ready to give it up and went back to the hen house to sleep. This hen still takes care of the baby. It's five weeks old.
My four little girls (golden sex links) that are almost three months old are still not brave enough to go in the hen house at night.

8 comments:

JC said...

Must be so hard for them. I can't even imagine. They are so pretty !!!

Jan said...

Buttercup wants to soar like an eagle.

Callie Brady said...

The hen in the bottom photo is beautiful. Such a pretty color and feather pattern. Glad you found the hen.

Marie Anne said...

Cute! Mine aren't babies anymore. The two boys are trying to crow, and the four hens are almost as big as those that are laying.

Jen said...

Cute Chickie Pics. love the babies...

Two French Bulldogs said...

look at all those kids...
Benny & Lily

The Chicken Keepers said...

Cute chicks! We have chickens that like to explore(stray away from the flock)they always seem to come back though! It's good that you found Buttercup. Nice blog! Check out our blog at thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com

Miss Lizzy said...

Glad to know that Buttercup learned her lesson, at least for the time being!
They have super cute charms for necklaces and bracelets at the Beehive -- one of them has a chicken on it. I think you need one! They are beveled glass with images behind and they have different images on front and back.