Sunday, August 16, 2009

Restocking My Flock

First off, the poor little white chicken that fell off the truck didn't make. She died the next day. Bless her heart. Yesterday I went to Bonnie & Clyde (flea market) and bought four more chickens. I got another Austrolorp, an Ameracauna and two Golden Laced Wyandottes. The Ameracauna is white with black on it. I have never seen one that color. The last picture is the Wyandottes. The poor little chickens have had their beaks clipped. I didn't notice this when I was purchasing them. Not that it would have made a difference. And you can tell they have been in a cage most of the time. I kept them in the cage the rest of the day Saturday; then put them in the hen house at night. They would only come out of the house for small periods of time today. I don't think they know free range. They will learn. Also, I wanted them to know where they need to go every night.

Check out the little white rooster. Remember the little Easter biddies. Well, he's thinking, "Yea! New girl friends." This afternoon I noticed he went in the hen house to visit the new hens. He is flapping his wings and showing out.

I am also doing every thing I can to keep the varmint from getting my chickens. First thing every morning, I walk down to the woods and make a circle around my house in the woods. If the varmint is there he runs away. Hopefully, if he is not there already, my scent will keep him back. I do this about four or five times a day. S0 far it has worked. He hasn't gotten one since last Tuesday. I hope this keeps working.





1 comment:

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

We are so sorry about the little guy that fell off the truck. The new ones will soon be happy running around the yard.. Mr. Rooster will keep a good eye on them..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie