Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Planting Rye Grass




This is me getting ready to plant rye grass seed. I plant the rye grass so the horses will have something to graze on during the winter. And since I'm thinking it is going to be colder that usual, I need grass and hay. They like both anyway.








The good part is it is going to rain tomorrow. The bad part is it is going to be heavy rain.




This is some rye grass just coming up from last years crop; I think. There are a few bare spots in the pasture and this looks like the rye grass.


A couple of hours later, my chickens are out in the pasture having a "field day". They found a heavy batch of seed.
They might as well have it as it running off down in the creek. I just heard on the weather that we are expecting four to seven inches.








4 comments:

Sapphire said...

wow u are really busy. sapphire would love to have a ride with u!

Anonymous said...

You have it too easy! The one time I planted rye grass I walked around the yard with a hand distributor. That was my first year living in the country. Much to my dismay, I had to mow grass all winter! Never again.

Callie Brady said...

You look terrific in and charge of that machine and all you survey. The horses will love all the new sprouts. Lucky chickens!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

You are so busy and so are the chickens.. hehe
We got rain today too. We sure wish it would quit..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie