Wednesday, February 10, 2010

One Baby Chick


The sad news is that there was two. Today she came out with two. I had been gone and when I got back she was outside with the babies under her. I ran in after the camera. I don't know exactly what happened, but when I got back out she was chasing another chicken off. I only saw one baby. After looking, I found the other one. I think she had run over it and killed it while chasing away a dog or another chicken. I could have just cried.

But we (she and I) have one left. She better do a better job with this one. It's black with a little white dot on the top of it's head.
Isn't it the cutest little bitty thing.

I get so nervous watching her because I'm afraid she is going to hurt it or let another chicken hurt it. What to do?



The barred rock, the black and white one right next to her, is really the mother. She laid two eggs in the nest that mother hen had been setting on. Surrogate, right?

5 comments:

Sapphire said...

I'm sorry ): things like this do happen. take it easy. hope you feel better soon.

Toni aka irishlas said...

I'm sorry you lost one of the chicks.. Sapphire is right - it happens. The other chick looks like a barred rock baby..you'll find out soon enough, for sure. They grow quick!

Miss Lizzy said...

That is sad about the little chick! They look incredibly fragile. Who knew that chickens did surrogate duty?

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh we are so sorry about the other chick but this one is so cute.. Keep a close eye on her, Mom..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Callie Brady said...

I had a friend with lots of hens and chicks and the hens were forever losing chicks. She said not to worry. It happens.