Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chicken Surprise


See the large one with the red wings; I named her Norma when I got her in November. I believe Norma is actually a Norman. This was suppose to be a pullet; but judging by IT'S size I would guess not. It's large and got the curly tail feathers. However, if it is a Norman, I'm not sure he knows it. I have never seen it try to mate with a hen nor does it crow. This chicken should be about six or seven months old. I just don't get it, but neither does it.

This is my little baby. She was a week old last Wednesday. I think I took this picture on Friday. She is growing and somehow surviving from all she has been through. Oscar almost got the mom one day last week. I was not happy with Oscar.

Eggs and golf balls. I think I ended up with seven eggs this day. They use these three nest and two in the shed. I got eight eggs today, but that was because I got only three yesterday. Could have been because they were afraid of the strange dogs; another story.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Norma(n) sounds like there are some issues to work out.

Miss Lizzy said...

I thought Chicken Surprise was going to be a casserole! Norma(n) sounds gender confused and may need therapy. Mom wants know where one goes for chicken therapy. Are there chicken therapists in Pea Ridge?

Callie Brady said...

Maybe Norma/n is a Roo Hen something like our Hen Roo only backwards? The chick sure is cute!

You have a similar kind of nest box set up I am going for. Three nest boxes on top with a big box area in the middle and three on the bottom. Well, I'm going to try when the sun comes back.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Oh my, a confused bird. I guess the mystery will eventually solve itself..
Love your nest boxes. And the baby is adorable.

Two French Bulldogs said...

The pullett laid a golf ball? Crazy
Benny & Lily

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll expose my ignorance about chickens. I thought all male chickens were roosters. No?

tberry29 said...

Even if Norma is a roo..he/she sure is a purty one!