Saturday, January 23, 2010

Increasing Production

For a little while anyway. We have had about a week of pretty warm weather, so the chickens are laying more. I had six eggs yesterday. This is Gigi. She laid her first egg, Wednesday I think.

This is it. For a first time egg, it is pretty big and it is blue green. So now three of my Americanas lay blue green eggs. The Easter eggs.


I put golf balls in the nest to help encourage them to lay there. These nest are in the hen house but there are two nest in the shed. Only because the hens want them there.
I still have three not laying. These are two of the pullets. They are Americaunas also. The other pullet is a Rhode Island Red.


This is one of my Golden Laced Wyandottes. She is setting in the shed. She started setting last week on golf balls. Then the Barred Rock laid a couple of eggs in her nest. I know it was the Barred Rock because I caught her in the nest with Lacy. Since this is her first time to set, I decided we would just go with the two eggs she has now. Hope she has little hens.




5 comments:

Jan said...

This brings back so many memories. My parents (city types) had hens when I was little and the thrill of gathering eggs is one I have never forgotten. The Rhode Island Reds were my favorites.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Wow...very cool. I wonder if we could have little hens? Mom said don't even think about it.. Oh well. A farm must be full of fun
Benny & Lily

Callie Brady said...

Oh! She is a pretty hen. Hope you get lots of chicks!

Miss Lizzy said...

I love those blue-green eggs!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh what great news.. Gigi you are all grown up now. You sure do lay some pretty eggs... The other three will get the hang of it soon..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie