Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baby Opossum


Last night I set the trap and caught a baby opossum instead of a grown one. The trap, which is located behind the chicken house, is baited with cat food. They love cat food. I had gone out to let the chickens out, but Oscar found it first. He spent two hours out there barking at the baby opossum. At least he couldn't get to it.
Later, I just let him loose in the woods. I didn't have time to relocate him. I'll try to catch some more later this week.
The chickens stopped and paused for a second with all the noise Oscar was making; then they decided to go ahead and eat.
Yesterday morning when I went out to get my newspaper, a coyote crossed the road about fifty yards from me. He was crossing and coming back in the woods on my side of the road. I guess he was heading back to his den. This was about seven am. After I let the chickens out, I walked back through the woods to make sure he wasn't lurking out there.

P.S. You would think Oscar lives here.

2 comments:

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

that is so cool to have so many animals come to visit... Mom is so envious..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

cottage garden farmer said...

Becky I've never seen an opossum, as we don't have them here, but I notice your trap looks like the one I used to try and catch rabbits and squirrels, but I never caught anything! Maybe I should try cat food!
Kathy